Friday, August 05, 2005

Russian Surrealism On My Desktop Slideshow

What to do while waiting for the laundry, hmmm... vacuum? clean toilet? scrub bathroom? Nah, go find some more unreal desktops to download.

A couple of nights ago I finally got around to ditching my embarassingly large collection of Tolkien desktops and replaced them with a handful of nifty ones.

Which would have been cool, except that every morning and night when I hopped on, I'd find myself staring at the same bloody desktop. That's what happens, of course, when you set your desktop slideshow to change on the hour, and you only have six image files.

Obviously, I needed more. Lots more. The weirder and lovelier the better.


Them funky Russians. I don't think it's just because I've been working on the St Petersburg 1900 episode either, or that I've had Tchaikovsky and some heartbreaking Rachmaninoff aria pounding through my brain, but there's something so beautifully morose and cynical about Russian art that just makes you want to let go of the railing and be smothered by the deep waters. Hell, even their techno has an edge of nightmare to it. Must be those long and bitter winter nights.

No comments: