Wednesday, December 31, 2008
Friday, November 21, 2008
Thursday, November 20, 2008
Tuesday, November 18, 2008
Friday, November 14, 2008
Sunday, November 09, 2008
Friday, November 07, 2008
Friday, October 31, 2008
Wednesday, October 29, 2008
Sunday, October 26, 2008
When retribution is delivered after midday on Jan 20th, 2009 it won't be with jackboots and thuggery but with warrants, subpoenas and trial by peers. That is the difference between the Right and those that believe in inalienable rights.
Saturday, October 25, 2008
Tuesday, October 21, 2008
Monday, October 20, 2008
Sunday, October 19, 2008
Friday, May 30, 2008
Friday, May 23, 2008
1. There are as many rules about process and procedure as there are exceptions.
2. When in doubt, make paperwork and spread it around.
3. The people who work in the dullest jobs have the loudest personalities.
4. The hardware in the staff kitchen is newer than the hardware on your desk.
5. Nobody is where their database entry says they are, every department is known by a half dozen other names that sound just like some completely unrelated department, and the database you've spent the past week learning to use is going to be superseded next week anyway.
Posted by ToxicPurity at 5/23/2008 11:06:00 pm
Sunday, May 04, 2008
Tuesday, April 22, 2008
Wednesday, March 26, 2008
I like these Buddhist people. Two years ago, as I was driving home from the hospital after JOOB's birth they put on a fireworks display as I was crossing the causeway. Last year they had a massive party for him that featured lots of food and entertainment - he even got balloons. This year they're doing it again. Details here.
Come join the fun. If you're particularly lucky you may even have the honour of giving JOOB a present. And unusually for a JOOB event entry is free.
Monday, March 10, 2008
Apparently if you blog about a meetup then the date and time can't be changed. So the Perth Bloggers Meetup will be on this Thursday at 3am down in Albany. I don't know where because I won't be attending but just pick a location and blog about it. Thems the rules. Thanks Simone =).
Thursday, February 07, 2008
Monday, February 04, 2008
Is this just the latest performer for the concert season? Maybe it's a new startup airline? Or perhaps it's what you get when bogan white trash meets economic boom? In any case at least Bill & Ted should be happy.
Friday, January 25, 2008
Wednesday, January 23, 2008
1. Fridge magnets.
2. Plastic blocks and a toy car.
3. Day old toast.
4. Plastic jar lid and a spoon.
5. A nappy.
Monday, January 14, 2008
1. Send a blank SMS to Skribe.
2. Make calls to numbers in memory, and then babble incoherently at whoever answers.
3. Make video phone calls to my voicemail.
4. Take a snapshot on phonecam of blurry pavement.
5. Tried to connect to the net, but settled for leaving bluetooth up.
PS* If anyone thinks phone gadgetry is becoming too complicated, they should just leave it in the hands of a toddler.
Thursday, January 10, 2008
1. Pushing all the buttons on the washing machine all the time will give it a nervous breakdown. And then it'll come after you and gobble you up.
2. Toothpaste is poisonous, except when it's on the toothbrush. So stop trying to eat the toothpaste.
3. The sprinklers are sleeping. If you wake up the sprinklers by jumping on them, they'll leap out of the ground and spit venom in your face.
4. Dragonflies are baby aeroplanes.
5. The vacuum cleaner is alive. And hungry. But also blind and stupid. So it's easy to escape.
Monday, January 07, 2008
Thursday, January 03, 2008
...because my son is healthy, happy, inquisitive, mischievous, obstinate, affectionate, capable of all this and more.
...because he hasn't been diagnosed with a condition that is hereditary, incurable, and so debilitating that she will probably die in just a couple of years' time.
...because with the shock and sorrow I feel for that other child's parents, there is also relief and gratitude that it's not my child.
There. Said it. It's selfish, and it's true.
And I can't stop crying for her.
There is nothing that can be said, or done. Nobody can make this better. Pity is as useless as it is unwanted. I do not love that little girl any less, not do I love my boy any more, for knowing she is ill and he isn't.
Nothing lasts. We all die sometime. All we can do is make the most of what we have. And to carry ourselves with strength and grace, as her parents are doing.