Wednesday, July 06, 2005

London 2012

Well, I'm glad I didn't put money on Paris. The way my day went today - alarm didn't go off, delivery guy was late, bus didn't arrive at all, not able to use any workstation at the office, my pendant breaking... etc - any bets I laid would probably have resulted in the TAB exploding or something equally unproductive.

Anyway, congratulations London. It would have been nice to have had the Olympics shared between two great cities the way the football was shared between Seoul and Tokyo but that's clearly too radical a concept for the IOC. Now we don't get to see which city fights to host the glamourous sporting events. It'll have to happen eventually, though. Them damned Games are getting mighty big for any one city to manage. Athens still hasn't recovered from 2004. Sydney was probably the last manageable Games, costwise.

In the meantime, we're just going to have to learn to live with the insufferably smug poms amongst us.

No comments: