Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Changes

We're in the process of changing ISPs - moving from permanent dialup, which we've had for over 10 years, to DSL. One of the reasons it has taken so long to make the change is that I knew it was going to be long, traumatic process.

Firstly our old server was never going to cope with the strain of DSL both in throughput and security - it was running a version of redhat linux from the 90s. To rebuild the server, I knew, would require at least a week. Time I haven't had until recently.

Secondly, I'd have to redelegate our domain names and port across all the pages we've managed to create in the ten years we've been running our own site.

Thirdly, it would require the creation of an entirely new web site for our business. A change in server specifications would allow us to use the CMS I (and lots of others) have been working on for the last few years on our site. Don't worry, all my code has subsequently been removed - although my documentation and howtos have survived.

For the last three weeks that's what I've been doing and I'm only about halfway through. Having measles has meant that I've been able to spend more time than I expected to over ther last week, but the other side of the coin meant that I missed several days as well because of the early symptoms - headaches and sensitivity to light mainly.

So that's where we're at. More details when the sites are finished - probably at least another week of work yet, but at least we have email again now.

No comments: