Saturday, June 25, 2005

Messages

About this time last week someone rang me offering me a job as a cameraman to shoot a concert. It was late, my phone was on silent and so it went through to my voice mail. That was just the first of many missed calls that would occur over the following week.

I got the message the next day. I tried calling them back several times and each time the number rang out. Eventually, on Monday evening I got through. At first glance the job seemed simple, but there were some issues that the person - who was only acting as an agent for somebody else - was unable to answer. I gave them an initial quote based on the imformation I'd been given and waited for them to get back to me. We arranged for them to call me the following evening at 8pm.

Tuesday 10.30pm and still no call. I turn my phone to silent and head to bed presuming that they're not interested. Next morning I wake to find a message - left at 11:33pm - by the agent. They've accepted the quote but have been unable to answer the questions I asked. They give me two phone numbers so I can contact the contractor directly. I call their mobile number and go straight through to their voice mail where I leave a message.

Twenty-four hours later I still haven't received a reply. I call the other number and once again go straight through to voice mail and leave my message.

Friday morning I wake to find a message - delivered at nearly midnight - apologising and telling me to call them back. They also offer to extend the amount of hours they need me and ask me to requote based on this new imformation. I call back immediately and once again get the dreaded voice mail. I leave a message telling them that I'll call them at 8pm that night. I break my fast, shower only to come out to discover another message. The contractor might not be at their phone at 8pm so they'll phone me instead. I call them straight back. Voice mail. Hangup.

8pm I call them. Voice mail. Hangup. 8.30pm I call them. Voice mail. Hangup. 9pm: call. Voice mail. Leave message telling them that I'll call them between 9am and 11am Saturday - today - the night of the show. I leave my phone unsilenced - just in case.

This morning, still no reply. I call at 9am and get the contractor's infant kid brother. He's still living at home with his parents. His Dad comes on and I leave another message. 11am I have to go out to do some work. Very loud work and so I miss the message that comes through at midday telling me that the contractr now has a mobile phone and that I should contact them using that. What about the other mobile number? I don't get the message until 2pm - 4 hours until the gig is due to start. I call them back. Finally get the contractor.

I give him the new quote - almost double the original. He readily accepts which surprises me. I ask my questions which he almost answers to my satisfaction. Then I state my requirements: secure storage for my equipment including power outlet so I can recharge my batteries, check; free water throughout the night, check; payment in full upon completion, problem. He claimed as he wasn't getting paid for several weeks he couldn't pay me. Now, I do sometimes offer credit, but generally not more than 24 hours and almost never to new clients. I certainly wasn't going to offer several weeks credit to a kid, still living with his parents, that has a habit of not being contactable.

And so, instead of having my ear drums berated by 200db caterwaulling I'm at home, enjoying my first real day off in weeks.

No comments: