Friday, April 29, 2005

Nobody to blame but themselves

You know, I'm not prone to bigotry or racism, but every now and then I'm tempted. Particularly when people make comments like this:

A victim of rape every minute somewhere in the world. Why? No one to blame but herself. She displayed her beauty to the entire world
Now I was tempted to just include it as a Quote of the Day (yes, that is what QOTD stands for if you hadn't worked it out), just put it down to a slip of the tongue or the ramblings of an ex-boxer that took one-hundred too many to the head, but I just couldn't let it pass without comment. Stupidity needs to be confronted, ridiculed and eradicated and this, folks is rampant stupidity at its worst.

Now, if I was a bigot I would say that despite Arabic and Islamic community protests to the contrary, Sheik Faiz Mohamad's views about women are more than a mere anomalous view held by a handful. No, they're a widely-held view in the Islamic-Arab community. Think Taliban. Think Sudan. Think Saudi-Arabia. If I was a bigot I would say that.

I would also say, that this attitude is the justification for the hajib or burka: to hide women from all but their husbands in the belief that men can't control their sexual lustings when confronted with a constant barrage of bareskin. That Islamic-Arab men are too weak to control themselves and need to subjucate their womenfolk so as to not cause themselves unnecessary embarrassments.

I would then go on to say that any man that believes that because a woman is raped she must have been asking for it, must be so out of control of his own sexual behaviour that he is a serious risk to the community. That he needs to be incarcerated, undergoing constant psychological exams and work programs until he is able to control his desires.

And then I would say to the Sheik that equivalent of saying that rape victims have nobody to blame but themselves would be to say that if someone were to shoot a sheik for making a ludicrously stupid comment, then that shiek he would have nobody to blame but himself. That is what I would say if I was a bigot.

Fortunately I'm not, but sometimes I'm mighty tempted. Stop making it so easy for the bigots.

No comments: