Friday, February 25, 2005

Yes

I suppose all good things must come to an end, but it has been quite amusing over the last few weeks seeing most of the shopkeepers in London Court proudly displaying their VOTE NO placards. It's amusing because I don't think their case is helped by several of them not even bothering to stay open for the existing retail hours. And I'm not talking about the extended hours afforded to them because they're in a tourist zone. I'm talking about 9am to 5.30pm weekdays. And I know that at least one of the guys that works there regularly shuts his door at 4pm. He hasn't exactly got an oustanding business model and the things he sells are about twice the price other retailers sell them for, so it's not surprising. But you'd think that someone that wasn't attracting many customers to begin with might at least welcome the opportunity to attract a few more.

As I said, it's amusing because I'll be voting YES and YES tomorrow at the referendum. There are lots of reasons for it - to put a stop to being hassled by vagrants while walking through the deserted city at 7pm on a weeknight is as good as any - but I think my main reason is because I think this guy needs a swift kick. What does he think this is? The land of the long weekend?

The eighties called and they want their work hours back.

No comments: