Saturday, October 09, 2004

The Pre-Voting Euphoria

Well, it's 9am on a damp but sunny Saturday morning on what is turning out to be another working weekend. No sweat. It's Election Day! Skribe and I are going voting! Yay!

Yes, I'm a civics geek, among other things. Breakfast? That can wait. The office? Later. This is important.

I love Election Day. I'm sorry it only comes round every few years, and I honestly can't understand people's lack of enthusiasm for it. This is not a chore - it's a privilege, our sacred right. And virtually the only duty expected of us as Australian citizens that's actually constructive and fun, too. (Okay, so I get excited about jury duty as well - it's so much fun! But taxes, we can at least all see eye to eye on taxes. Paying taxes is neccessary, but there's not much to get excited over. Taxes is not fun. But voting is!)

Ahem. It's Election Day. WOO-HOO! Yay! I'm going to number every single little box and make those preferences work, baby! Bye-bye, Jackboot Johnnie and all your prejudices and petty fears. It's time to live in the 21st century. Hello, Mr Latham and a future worth believing in.

I'm off to do some voting, some wonderful voting in Oz!*

*sung badly to We're Off To See The Wizard of Oz

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm looking forward to watching the results come in tonight! I just hope we see a change and welcome Latham as the new Prime Minister! :)

~ alysha (www.alyshajane.com.)