Thursday, July 08, 2004

Umbrella?

Well, Tropfest has finally named their Tropfest Signature Item [TSI] and as you might have guessed from the title it is umbrella.

I have to say that I'm a little disappointed with this one. It's not that there isn't ample opportunity for interpretation, it's just that it lacks the ambugity of the TSIs of recent years: hook, rock, match, horn, bug You have to go back to 1999 for a specific concrete item (chopsticks) and 1996 for an item (teaspoon) with only one meaning.

However, despite all my griping there is a good chance I'll be submitting at least one entry and maybe even more than one. It's not just the fat wads of cash or the treasure trove of prizes that are on offer that attracts me - although they do help. It's the fact that it's probably the biggest audience a short-listed short can get. The festival screens at selected locations across Australia. I also just love the idea of being forced to get off my big fat arse to create something specifically for the festival.

Stay tuned for more details.

No comments: